Thursday, February 15, 2018

Trigger Warning

I'm going to be selfish for a bit here:

You know what's relatively awful in terms of my life? Sitting in the waiting room of a mental health facility where they decided to have a TV on showing the news.

When my therapist arrived for our appointment I had to tell her: that isn't appropriate for anyone. We had a little kid sitting just underneath the screen looking up all wide eyed. I was sitting next to a guy who was obviously struggling from schizophrenia and trying desperately to get an appointment that instant to be treated who was uttering "Shoot shoot... I could just kill them all... Shoot shoot" over and over again. Even though I knew that was his mental illness talking, I couldn't help but feel dread every time he said it and I'm someone who spent time in a psych ward who should have some kind of immunity built up to that by now. But in this case I did not.

Am I saying the mentally ill should be kept away from current events? Actually, for the most part, yes. A lot of people there are there because courts ordered them to be. A lot of people there are struggling to just live their life on their own. We don't need to throw mass shootings and casualties and political bickering on top of that when we should be focused on getting better.

That's just my two cents. I never really ranted at my therapist before but I had to tell her how absolutely harmful it is to have that set up for all patients waiting.